BYLAWS OF THE SPRING VALLEY LAKES PROPERTY OWNER’S ASSOCIATION
Revised 17 August, 2017
Article 1: Purpose
The Spring Valley Lakes Property Owners Association, hereafter referred to as SVLPOA, is formed for specific and primary purposes which are:
- To carry on a program in the mutual interests of property owners in the association for the benefit and preservation of their respective property.
- To further certain common objectives as follows:
- Proper zoning ordinances
- Adequate police and fire protection
- Proper sanitation controls
- Revitalization of “Spring Valley Lake”
- Maintain the “Architectural Committee”
The SVLPOA also organizes and sponsors social events to raise funds and promote a friendly, neighborly, and helpful environment for all of Spring Valley.
Article 2: Membership
Section 1. The membership of the organization shall consist of any property owner residing or owning property within the Spring Valley Lakes subdivision who agrees to abide by these bylaws and Articles of Incorporation of the SVLPOA. Each member shall have one (1) vote, and the rights and privileges of the members shall be equal.
Section 2. Associate Members of this corporation shall consist of any person 18 years or older residing within the stated boundaries of Spring Valley Lakes or such other areas as may be approved by the Board of Directors who agree to abide by these bylaws and the Articles of Incorporation of the SVLPOA.
Section 3. Golden Members of this corporation shall be those who are recognized by the membership as having consistently, over a period of at least three (3) years, contributed their time to organize, lead or manage the business of the SVLPOA. Golden Members must be, and remain, property owners and residents of the Spring Valley Lakes Subdivision. Golden Members are nominated by a petition signed by ten percent (10%) of the general membership, presented to any officer. At the next general membership meeting, at least thirty (30) days hence, the nomination will be debated under new business and a vote taken. A 2/3 affirmative vote is required to accept the motion. A Golden Member is assessed no dues and has all privileges of regular members for life. Golden Membership is an individual membership and does not include family members.
Article 3: Support of Corporation Dues
Section 1. Membership dues will be $10.00 per year per individual. Voting shall be restricted to paid up members. Golden members shall have no dues assessed.
Section 2. Dues are payable on January 1st.
Section 3: If membership dues are delinquent, all privileges of membership cease, until dues are current.
Article 4: Officer Nominations, Elections and Vacancies
Section 1. At the February Board member meeting the President shall appoint a nominating committee. The committee shall be composed of three (3) active SVLPOA members. The nominating committee shall present or submit the slate of candidates as the last agenda item at the March general membership meeting. Candidates shall be property owners and members in good standing. Other nominations can be made from the floor on the night of the election. Elections shall be by secret ballot at the March General Meeting. The nominating committee shall count the votes. The office of President, Vice President, and Treasurer shall be Spring Valley Lake subdivision property owners.
Section 2. Voting shall continue until a majority of those voting have cast their vote for a single candidate.
Section 3. Members in good standing at the close of the February general membership meeting may vote for officers.
Section 4. The President and Board of Directors shall be elected for a period of one (1) year. Their term in office shall begin on April 1.
Section 5. The Vice President shall serve as President for the remainder of the current term if the Presidency is vacant. The resulting Vice Presidential vacancy shall then be filled. Vacancies in the Board of Directors, other than President, shall be appointed by the remaining directors in office. Newly selected directors shall hold office for the remainder of the unexpired term.
Article 5: Officers of the Association
Section 1. The officers of the Association shall consist of five (5) elected active members to be:
- One (1) President
- Four (4) Elected Directors – Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Building Coordinator
Section 2. The officers of the Association constitute the Board of Directors, have all responsibilities and authorities normally applied to same, and are expected to comply with local, state and federal laws, and health and safety regulations.
Section 3. The President shall preside at all officer’s meetings and general membership meetings. The President shall sign all contracts and other instruments.
Section 4. The Vice President shall preside at all officer’s meetings and general membership meetings in the absence of the president.
Section 5. The Secretary shall keep records of all proceedings of the officers meetings and general membership meetings.
Section 6. The Treasurer shall keep proper accounting books. The Treasurer shall maintain accurate accounting of all monies, make deposits and prepare instruments of payment when due. The Treasurer shall submit a financial report monthly. At the general membership meeting it will be posted on the bulletin board showing the Cash Flow report and Allocation by Type and Category.
Section 7. The Building Coordinator shall be responsible for use, rental, and upkeep of the community center. Organization of the regular monthly breakfast event shall also be the responsibility of the Building Coordinator.
Article 6: Officer Removal
Section 1. Any officer may be removed from office by this sequential procedure.
- Members must submit a written petition for removal, signed by a minimum of ten percent (10%) of the general membership.
- The general membership shall be notified by newsletter publication, or special mailing to all members shown on SVLPOA records. The notification shall include date, time, and place of an election for removal at a general membership meeting. This notification shall be at least thirty (30) days before the meeting date.
- The Officer shall be immediately removed if a minimum of seventy-five percent (75%) of the general membership present vote for removal at the meeting as published.
Section 2. Any vacancy created by the removal of a Board of Directors member shall be filled per Article 4, Section 5 of these bylaws.
Article 7: Duties and Authority of Officers
Section 1. Administration and applications of general issues of policy or action shall be the responsibility of the officers. Any requests for variances or exceptions to existing policy, practices and procedures shall be reviewed by the Board of Directors and presented to the membership at the next general meeting.
Section 2. Spending authority of officers.
- Available SVLPOA funds may be spent up to a cumulative limit of five hundred dollars ($500.00) per calendar month without prior general membership approval. These expenditures must be by check and shall be accounted for and explained at the next general membership meeting following the expenditure. These expenditures must be for expenses for the administration of the SVLPOA such as utilities, pest control and newsletter publication. This monthly limit shall not be used as partial payment for any expense for which the total cost is over the $500.00 limit. All expenditures over the $500.00 limit require majority approval at a general membership meeting. Emergency expenditures and normal, scheduled Community Center functions such as breakfast, dinners, and special events, are not included in the $500.00 allocation.
- All commitments or spending of association funds beyond those listed above require approval of the general membership at a prior regular association meeting.
- Two SVLPOA Officer’s signatures are required on all SVLPOA checks.
- The Board may appoint an SVLPOA member in good standing to procure food and service items for normal Community Center functions. The appointed person may be given the authority to co-sign checks with a Board member if permission is ratified by a vote of the members at a general membership meeting. Only one such appointed position may exist at any one time.
Section 3. The officers may call special meetings of the general membership when they determine it is required. The officers shall call a general membership meeting upon request of a minimum ten percent (10%) of the membership. These Special Meetings shall be announced by newsletter publication or special notification at least one week in advance.
Section 4. The officers shall declare the vacancy of an officer’s position after unexcused nonattendance at three (3) consecutive regular officers meetings.
Section 5. The officers shall maintain an office, archives, and storage area for records of SVLPOA.
Section 6. The officers shall publish a monthly newsletter.
Section 7. The officers shall administer a special mailing or posting of important information that cannot be held until the next newsletter publication. These notices shall be sent to all of the current membership when appropriate.
Section 8. The officers may appoint committees as required. All committees shall be reviewed in April of each year to assure their continued need. Committees no longer needed or performing poorly shall be discontinued. Committees still needed and performing satisfactorily shall be continued until no longer required. See Article 10 of these bylaws for more committee information.
Article 8: Meetings of Officers/Board Meetings
Section 1. Regular meetings of the officers shall be held no less than forty-eight (48) hours before regular general membership meetings.
Section 2. Special meetings of the officers may be held at any time. Notice of such meetings should be given personally to each officer at least forty-eight (48) hours in advance if at all possible.
Section 3. Board meetings shall be open to the general membership and shall be held at the community center or another public place. A quorum to conduct business at the board meeting shall be any two (2) officers and the President, or the Vice President in the absence of the President.
Section 4. Normal order of business at Board meetings shall be:
- Call to order and polling of all officers
- Reading and approval of minutes
- Report of officers and committees
- Paying of accounts payable
- Unfinished business
- New business
Article 9: Meetings of the Membership/General Meetings
Section 1. Normal general membership meetings shall be held quarterly on the third Thursday of the month beginning in the election month of March and shall be held in a public place within Lake County at a time approved by a majority vote of members at the general membership meeting.
Section 2. Special general membership meetings are covered in Article 7, Section 3 of these bylaws.
Section 3. A quorum to conduct business at any SVLPOA general meeting shall be three (3) Board members and an additional seven (7) current paid up members.
Section 4. The Annual Meeting for the association is the March general membership meeting.
Article 10: Committees
Section 1. Committees shall be appointed as required by the officers. Committees shall normally consist of three (3) or more active members and shall serve with these guidelines:
- Each committee shall have a chairperson appointed to it by the officers who will coordinate the committee and represent it.
- Each committee shall be appointed with clearly defined purposes, stated goals, expected results, and realistic dates.
- Each Board appointed committee shall issue a progress report for each general membership meeting.
- A lack of committee reports at two (2) consecutive regular general meetings shall cause the officers to investigate the status of the committee. If there is no report at the third regular general meeting the committee shall be canceled.
- An oversight committee comprised of two (2) non-board members will be appointed by the officers to conduct a review of records quarterly, if desired, but at least once at the end of the fiscal year. Guidelines for their oversight inspections will be predetermined by guidelines set by the governing board.
Section 2. Permanent or “Standing” committees shall not be appointed within the SVLPOA, except for the Architectural Committee.
Section 3. All committees shall be reviewed annually as defined in Article 7, Section 8 of these bylaws.
Article 11: Parliamentary Authority
The most current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order will be the parliamentary authority for the organization.
Articled 12: Amendments
Section 1. These bylaws may be amended by a two-third (2/3) vote of the general membership attending and voting at a regular membership meeting. All proposed amendment must be submitted in writing and published to the membership not less than thirty (30) days before they can be brought to a vote. In addition all amendments to the bylaws, in order to be binding, must be in accord with the articles under which this corporation was formed.
Signed this 17 August, 2017
Vice President _______________________________________
Building Coordinator _______________________________________